By Victor C. Strasburger
Designed for speedy reference in a hectic workplace, this instruction manual is a concise, functional advisor to daily scientific difficulties in adolescent drugs. This ready-reference guide is written via famous specialists to supply quick, authoritative solutions to questions on universal scientific and behavioral difficulties in little ones. a number of tables, bulleted lists, and charts support practitioners locate details speedy, and a formulary bargains advice in prescribing for teenagers.
Coverage contains each vital subject in adolescent gynecology and up to date suggestions for comparing and treating overweight youngsters. different key matters addressed contain activities drugs, substance abuse, and adolescent violence and suicide.
Read or Download Adolescent Medicine: A Handbook for Primary Care PDF
Best diseases books
This identify bargains every thing readers want to know approximately Alzheimer's ailment - in additional than 500 entries. Alzheimer's illness is a innovative, degenerative disorder that assaults the mind and leads to impaired reminiscence, considering, and behaviour. greater than five million american citizens at present be afflicted by Alzheimer's affliction, and that quantity is projected to jump to eleven million by way of 2050.
Molecular Pathology of Hematolymphoid DiseasesThe Molecular Pathology Library sequence fills the distance among easy technological know-how and medical program. each one hassle-free reference brings jointly varied themes approximately molecular pathogenesis, prognosis and remedy in a single quantity. The sequence serves physicians and healthcare companies in a number of disciplines who have to comprehend and observe molecular diagnostics and remedy to sufferer care; citizens and fellows who combine molecular drugs into their curricula and destiny perform; and easy and translational researchers who needs to outline the impression in their study on medical drugs.
In October 2004 the learn middle for Gastroenterology and Liver ailments of Shaheed Beheshti collage hosted in Tehran an Iranian-American workshop on nutrients protection and Surveillance platforms for Foodborne illnesses. the needs of the workshop have been to begin contacts among Iranian and American experts, trade information regarding correct actions within the nations, and set the level for destiny cooperation within the box.
- Spondylolisthesis - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Research Guide to Internet References
- Cerebrovascular Diseases in Children
- West Nile Encephalitis Virus Infection: Viral Pathogenesis and the Host Immune Response (Emerging Infectious Diseases of the 21st Century)
- Urinary Tract Stone Disease
Additional resources for Adolescent Medicine: A Handbook for Primary Care
Sleep typically does not provide relief. Psychosocial stress may contribute to the patient’s experience of the pain and the functional impairment caused by the headache. Adolescents may have headaches with features of both vascular and tension-type headache symptoms, clouding the diagnosis. Analgesic withdrawal headache commonly follows analgesic overuse in the treatment of chronic daily headache. It may occur following the withdrawal of any analgesic [including acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)] that has been used three times a week or more for several weeks or months for the treatment of headache.
Penicillin sensitive anaerobes The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the antimicrobials listed in Table 6-3. Adolescents with acute rhinosinusitis should be treated for 10 to 14 days. For chronic sinusitis, the adolescents should be treated for 3 to 4 weeks. Symptoms should dramatically improve in the teen who has been treated for 48 hours. If the adolescent has not improved in 48 hours, he or she should be reevaluated and consideration may be given to changing antibiotics. B. Ancillary measures: The American Academy of Pediatrics, in a statement published in 2001 on the treatment of acute bacterial sinusitis, states that there are no data to suggest that antihistamine-decongestants, steroid nasal sprays, or over-the-counter nasal sprays have a place in the treatment of acute bacterial sinusitis.
2. Cardiac causes of syncope should be considered in the adolescent with a history of syncope of sudden onset, syncope during vigorous exercise, or syncope occurring while lying down in a recumbent position (see Table 5-1). 3. Noncardiac causes (see Table 5-2). Making the diagnosis: A. History: The history of the event is critical for the diagnosis and should be obtained from both the adolescent patient and, if possible, from an eyewitness. The history should include: • Time of day • Time of last meal • Situation and antecedents of the event, including position of patient • Associated prodromal symptoms such as palpitations, chest pain, headache, shortness of breath, nausea, diaphoresis, and visual changes • Duration of episode • Loss of consciousness • Family history of sudden death, arrhythmia, congenital heart disease, seizures, or metabolic disorders • Medications, including illicit drugs B.